Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Don't Blink

We're going to see Kenny Chesney in concert tonight, and it got me thinking about his song "Don't Blink" The chorus:

Don't blink,
Just like that you're six years old
And you take a nap
And you wake up and you're 25
Then your high school sweetheart becomes your wife.
Don't blink,
You just might miss your babies growing like mine did
Turnin' into moms and dads
Next thing you know your better half of 50 years
Is there in bed and you're prayin' God takes you instead
Trust me friend, 100 years goes faster than you think
So don't blink.

Right now, it's hard enough to grasp the fact that I'm going to be a mother in April - let alone the fact that my little unborn child may have children of his/her own someday. I don't want to miss out on anything, but already it seems to be going by so fast! Maybe part of that is that I really am just napping through everything right now! But I can't believe that it's already been over 5 weeks since I found out I was expecting. Our little baby has already grown so much!

From babycenter.com -
How your baby's growing:Your new resident is nearly an inch long — about the size of a medium green olive — and weighs just a fraction of an ounce. She's starting to look more and more human. Her essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. Other changes abound: Your baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form — as do her tiny teeth. The embryonic "tail" is completely gone. Your baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. She has tiny earlobes, and her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that your baby's basic physiology is in place, she's poised for rapid weight gain.

In a previous week I learned that his/her heart is already beating - not even an inch long and he/she has a teeny, tiny, beating heart!! I can't even wrap my head around it!


Anyway, we had a very busy weekend, and I'm going to be off work the next 2 day - which hopefully will give me some much needed rest! If I remember correctly, I had a pretty bad headache when I got home on Friday, so I just went to bed. I got up early Saturday and met my running group and walked/jogged a couple miles. I probably could have gone the full 4 that I had planned on, but it was cold and pouring down rain, so I gave up a little early. At least I made an effort! It worked out okay though, because if I'd stayed any longer I would have been late for my friend's Pampered Chef party. I got an awesome bamboo serving bowl, and some bamboo spatulas. If you haven't seen their bamboo products, you're really missing out! My collection is growing quite nicely! After that party, I headed over to another party. A baby shower to be more specific. One of my running friends is due this month, so it was fun to see her and see what great stuff she got! I don't remember what I did after that, so I'm assuming I went home and went to sleep! Sunday brought Church, and the first Sunday of the month is always communion, which I particularly enjoy. Sunday also brought another baby shower! Actually, it was a Mad-Hatter's Un-Birthday Party for Lindsay's baby-on-the-way. Coach Kathy made a ton of fabulous food and we had fun in our silly hats! If you've never had a sampling of Kathy's cooking, you are REALLY missing out! I was so full, that I couldn't eat the rest of the day. The rest of the day consisted of a cook-out with my family. We had some family in town from Colorado and everyone got together at my parents house to visit. Probably won't get to see my aunts and cousins that came for another year, so I'm glad we went! Monday after work, I babysat a little boy that I've been watching for 4 years - and told his parents the good news. They are very happy for us, but also a little disappointed that they will be losing their babysitter! Didn't get home until after 11, and then had another late night last night, and will be having another late night tonight. So I'm really looking forward to my time off! (And looking forward to seeing Kenny in those jeans....) ;-)

3 comments:

Kidney Bean a.k.a. Erin said...

Hey I have an online baby boutique. Check it out. we even have a registry page.
www.mommyslings.com

You will give you a discount on anything you want that doesn't get bought for you.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed yourself at the concert. I can't wait for Lindsay's baby and yours to get here so I can spoil them rotten since I won't have anymore grandkids of my own to spoil.

Bobby said...

Your life sounds full to me. No wonder you are always tired.