Friday, November 7, 2008

Mother Road Here I Come...

In just a few short hours, I will be headed down the highway to Elk City to help support some friends of mine who are running in the Mother Road 100. This is a 100 mile road race - yes, on foot. This will be Trail Zombie's (Ken) 3rd 100 mile race in 6 weeks, and Kathy's 2nd. Ken is hoping to beat 21 hours - and Kathy is hoping to beat Ken, so it could prove to be interesting. Originally, I was going to help be a pacer for one of them, but seeing as how for the last 3 months running has made me want to puke, I am now on the road crew instead. Or I'll work the TATUR aid station. Wherever I'm needed most is where I'll be - but I'm hoping for the road crew. The race starts at 9am tomorrow and will go through the night, so I'll try to post updates occasionally (especially if I can get any good pictures from my phone!).

Anyway, here is what I did this week...

Last Saturday, our group did a Mock Marathon. They ran most of the actual Route 66 Marathon course - and I did the crew thing. Along the run, one of the runners found a barely live 4-6 week old Chihuahua mix puppy thrown in a trash can. She took it out and laid it beside the trash can and Kathy came by and picked it up. After some water, he started to perk up, but then later had a seizure while someone had gone to the store to get him some milk. About the time the milk (and a hot dog) arrived for the puppy, a runner/vet came back to the tent and did a quick check. He seemed to be okay, but she thought he might be blind. After having some milk and hot dog, he was doing much better, and another runner who is a foster parent with the Pet Adoption League took him home in a Panera bagel box and made some calls and got him into another foster home. The puppy was given the name Panero, and should be available for adoption soon on I'm so glad our group worked together to save the little guy - he was just too cute!

Monday I had my monthly checkup and Randy came with me to hear the baby's heartbeat! It was such a relief to hear the heartbeat again. As many of you know, I have a friend who was pregnant and due about a week before me. She had gone in for her 12 week checkup and heard a heartbeat and everything seemed fine. When she went in a couple weeks ago for her 16 week checkup, there was no heartbeat and an ultrasound indicated that the baby had probably died a few days after her previous appointment, but her body hadn't yet started the process of cleaning everything out. She basically had no clue that she'd lost the baby. So I've been a little anxious for my own appointment to make sure our little one was still doing okay, and so far, so good! We scheduled our 20 week ultrasound for 11-25, and for those of you who don't know yet, we will NOT be finding out the baby's gender until he/she is born.

On Monday evening, I had my first Prenatal massage, which was very nice. I'm sure I'll do another one in a couple months (hopefully I can wait that long!) I'd love to have a massage every week, but that is just a little too costly!

Tuesday, I met with the running group and walked a couple miles with Susan. We talked with a Kathy a little bit about our plans for meeting up and carpooling this weekend, and after the run a group of us had dinner at Jason's Deli.

Wednesday night was my financial class. Nothing too special. Oh - except for the fact that I spent all day feeling like I'd done hundreds of sit-ups. Apparently my ribs were expanding. It's not fun, and I'm sure I can look forward to feeling it all again in the coming days/weeks/months.

Thursday night I had intended to meet the group and walk a few miles, but a mishap with UPS caused me to be a little late. I work in a small office building, and it even though they deliver here frequently, they couldn't seem to figure out where to deliver my new toy to. So after several phone calls, and a short drive to the UPS Customer Center, I can know officially start running again!

WooHoo! This one comes with a heart rate monitor, so I can safely keep my rate below my doctors recommendation of 140 beats per minute. I can't wait to start using it!

So, now I'm back to today, and I have a haircut scheduled this afternoon at 4:15 and then I'm meeting my people after that to head to the race. Even though I have plenty to do to keep me busy until then, I will still be hoping for time to pass just a little faster!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!


TATUR Dave said...

Hey Candice, Mother Road is going to be a blast! I'll see ya there Saturday afternoon. I think I'm pacing Kathy from something like Weatherford to the TATUR aid station or perhaps the next station if she is fast enough. I'll be glad to finish it with her if she can manage to do it in 18 hrs. I've got a funeral to get to in St Louis on Sunday afternoon.

So can your heart rate monitor pick up your baby's heart rate?

Bobby said...

See you in a little bit.

Anna. xo. said...

Wow what a busy week! And an 100mile race, eeeek is all I have to say!

- Anna

Casey said...

I am completely heart broken about the puppy story. Praying... praying praying. I am so glad you all did something... Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you.